Why you can’t have Laser Hair Removal when you have a tan
Avoid laser hair removal when you have a tan
Tanning or sunbathing is one of the beauty changes, but it may cause problems in performing some skin treatment methods, especially laser hair removal. In this article, we will discuss why it is not possible to do laser while tanning and solutions for this problem.
The reason avoiding laser hair removal when you have a tan
Skin tanning means an increase in the amount of pigment in the skin. When unwanted hair is removed with a laser, the energy of the laser light is absorbed into the pigment of the hair and turns into heat. This heat is transferred to the root of the hair and destroys the hair follicles. But if the skin is tanned, the skin pigment also increases.
During tanning, the pigment of hair and skin becomes darker. This causes the laser to be strongly absorbed by the pigment of the hair, and as a result, the energy is transferred to the surrounding skin. Therefore, due to the transfer of laser energy to the skin, the possibility of causing damage to the skin also increases.
For laser hair removal, dermatologists recommend that you allow the skin to tan and darken to the point where they can safely and accurately remove the hair. If the skin is tanned, the possibility of acne or skin damage increases. In addition, it is always important to consult a dermatologist before undergoing any type of laser treatment and check the specific points related to your skin condition.
Problems caused by laser hair removal when you have a tan
• Skin damage: with the increase in skin pigment, the laser energy is absorbed not only by the unwanted hair but also, by the surrounding skin, which may cause skin damage and burns.
• Decreased accuracy: Tanning causes a color difference between the unwanted hair and the skin, which may decrease the laser’s accuracy in removing hair.
Available solutions for laser hair removal when you have a tan
• Waiting: waiting for the tan and darkening of the skin to subside, especially if your tan is from sun exposure.
• Use special lasers: Some lasers with the ability to adjust the energy so that the skin reacts less to it, are suitable for people with tanned skin.
• Consultation with an expert: Consultation with a doctor or laser skin specialist can be the best advice for people who are tanning.
With these solutions and paying attention to the condition of the skin, the possibility of performing laser hair removal without damage in dark mode is improved.
Visit a dermatologist
If the problem of eyelash loss is severe, it is recommended to consult a skin and hair specialist. They can introduce you to specific tips and products to solve this problem.
Get your free consultation with Irsa team right here