Skin Rejuvenation Laser, Pre and Post Treatment Care
Rejuvenation laser by removing facial wrinkles can make your skin fresher and more attractive, smoothing and stretching the face, removing pimples, blemishes and scars, and treating scars caused by surgeries or injuries.
To do this, there are a wide variety of laser tools that allow he doctors and specialists to have more precise control over the laser and allow them to cut delicate parts of the skin with the utmost precision without the slightest Laser damage and give you beauty and rejuvenation. In the meantime, the instructions that you follow before and after the laser will definitely have a better effect on minimizing the risks and side effects of laser skin rejuvenation.
Essential steps before skin rejuvenation laser
It is important to discuss all of your medical background with your dermatologist before having a skin rejuvenation laser.
Drug allergies, diseases, especially connective tissue disorders and immune system disorders, surgical history, medicine you are currently taking and any previous skin treatments, especially Accutane and chemical pills should be reported to your doctor; This is because they are potential sources of laser skin rejuvenation consequences.
Be sure to inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Diabetes, herpes, blood clotting disorders, susceptibility to Keloids at the wound area.
- Avoid sunbathing, solarium or tanning for at least 1 month before the treatment session.
- Avoid the sun as much as possible.
- Avoid taking medicine like Retin-A or any retinol-containing medication at least one week before the treatment session.
- Do not use exfoliating substances and any medicine which has combination of A.H.A or hydroxy acid and glycolic acid one week before the treatment session.
- After Botox injection, leave at least 2 weeks between Botox injection and laser.
- Do not use all the creams and cosmetics for 3-4 days and use cleansing milk, sunscreen or cosmetics that have just been purchased and opened. (Due to the risk of microbial contamination)
- Your doctor may prescribe a skin whitening creams before laser skin rejuvenation to reduce the risk of further consequences. Hypopigmentation or permanent lightening of the skin is possible after laser skin rejuvenation, but this is less common.
- Smoking reduces cure process, so smokers should stop smoking for 2 weeks before and after skin rejuvenation laser.
- On the laser treatment day, the treated area should be clean and without any cosmetics, creams, perfumes or lotions. Use only sunscreen creams and clean it before the laser.
Immediately after skin rejuvenation laser
Depending on the intensity of the treatment, your doctor may bandage the treated area after the laser to prevent the tissue damages. Special topical treatments may be needed for complete recovery and reaching the better results. But if the surface treatment is done, there is no need for a bandage and using mask is sufficient.
Skin cares after rejuvenation laser
In general, care and instructions before and after rejuvenation laser should be done first according to the opinion and instructions of your doctor, but in general, the following can be mentioned:
- After the laser, you will feel a burning on the skin, which lasts from 30 minutes to 3-4 hours after the laser.
- If you have a slight pain, your doctor can give you medicines such as acetaminophen.
- To reduce any inflammation or redness after rejuvenation laser, it is recommended to use ice packs to cool the area.
- The roughness and fine scales in the treated area is normal.
- The skin will be red for 3 days and on the fourth day your skin becomes darker and the skin appearance will like sunburn or tan. In 5th or 6th day you will have scales. If the treatment is more severe, the recovery process will last to 7 days.
- If you feel stretch on your skin, you can increase using of moisturizing creams. Do this if your doctor tells you to.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, pushing, bending and lifting heavy objects for a week. These activities increase swelling and pain on the face and slow down the healing process.
- During rest time, put 2-3 pillows under your head or use comfortable chairs for several nights.
- Avoid direct sunlight for 6 months and use sunscreen with SPF 30 or more every day and wear hats and sunglasses. (Your skin becomes more sensitive to sunlight after the laser treatment and you will reach beauty results by protecting your skin from the sun.).
- Rarely, an increase or decrease in skin pigmentation (hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation) occurs, which improves within 6 months. To control this condition, the doctor helps to reduce the activity of pigment cells by performing the relevant creams before rejuvenation laser.
- It is forbidden to do massage or any pressure in the treated area for up to three days.
- After fractional laser, it is recommended to avoid any skin irritation.
- Do not forget to use sunscreen daily, especially when you have rejuvenation laser. After recovery, you should use sunscreen every day, without exception, especially sunscreens for sensitive skin. Your doctor will help you choose the best sunscreen.
- Scale of the skin is expected after the laser treatment. After that, the new, rejuvenated skin will be in pink, but will gradually become lighter over two to three months. It may take up to a year for this pink skin color to disappear. Protecting the skin during recovery time is very important. In blond and red hair people, the redness of the skin lasts longer.
- You can continue to take Retin-A or glycolic acid for about six weeks after treatment or until your doctor recommends it.
- After the laser, the specialist may decide to bandage the surgical area for two hours. After removing the bandage, the surgical site should be lubricated to prevent it from flaking.
- You may feel itchy in the area up to 72 hours after the operation.
- The treatment process takes up to 21 days
Skin care after rejuvenation laser around the eyes
If the laser rejuvenation is done around the eyes, note the following:
- The upper eyelid is slightly swollen and will be red for up to 3 days
- Rinse your eyes with cold water and dry gently with a soft towel.
- Avoid hot water.
- To reduce dry eyes, you can use artificial tears.
Skin care after rejuvenation laser around the lips
If the laser is done around the lips, note the following:
- Reduce the facial movements.
- Use moisturizing creams regularly.
- Use a straw to drink.
Note: The any care suggestion in this article is only a suggested aspect and you should ask the relevant doctor for detailed care and treatment instructions.